Saturday, July 7, 2012

Not Quite Off the Wagon

Whelp.  I'm a bit frustrated at the moment.  I hurt my foot a little over month ago just by walking.  This is my life.  Sharp pain just walking down the sidewalk with a friend.  No tripping, just sipping on a skinny mocha frappuccino.  And since then, this summer is not quite what I'd been hoping for.


My visits with the orthopedic surgeon has not been all that pleasant in the way of information.  I was told I have arthritis and it's flared up.  In my foot.  Near my ankle.  Oh, and apparently, I have arthritis in my toe joints.  Yippee.  Apparently 33 isn't so young anymore.


Doctor prescribes me some steroids to help with the inflammation.  And, this sexy surgical shoe to limit mobility.
Don't be jealous.


And don't look at my toes.  They need to be repainted.  And pampered.


I seriously think that if I had two of these sexy beasts, I could use them for scuba fins.  Or for peddling the Flintstone's car.


After two weeks of the shoe and meds, pain diminished but still hurt to run.  Doctor says, "Sorry, no running or high impact exercise for you for another 4-6 weeks."


Seriously?  Do you have any idea how this is impacting my social life?  No softball!  No Zumba!  No Running!


Good thing is, I can still bike, swim, and do some low-impact exercises of the like.  But running is my outlet!  Softball is my love!  And Zumba, well, it's just fun!


So, no heavy sweating.  I could walk as I know as long as you get the heart rate up, you're still burning calories.  BUT...with it being 100*+ outside now, who wants to walk a mile when I could run 2 or three in that time?!  In the words of Maverick and Goose...."I feel the need...the need for speed!"  Not that I'm all that fast, but you get the point.


As I've been altering my exercises, I'm still counting the calories and drinking the water.  


What kinds of exercises do you do that keep it low impact when recovering from an injury?







No comments:

Post a Comment