Saturday, December 29, 2012

My New Year Resolutions: Things I’m Gonna Work Harder On In 2013 (now that we know the world is not ending)


Well, dang it if my strike-through didn't work on my title.  Oh well.  You can’t necessarily call
them resolutions.  I don’t plan on giving up anything.  I just want to incorporate some healthier things in my life.


1.    Workin’ on my fitness!  Yeah, I think Fergie had a better way of saying, “work out and lose weight”.  Because, it’s not just about losing weight, it’s about feeling good.  Making time to do this, is a must.  As of now, D and I carpool.   So, our my day starts at 4:30am since we have to be out the door by 6am.  I’m going to have to sacrifice some of that “down/catch-up” time after my day is “done”, which is an hour before his…and make that my workout time.  Just gotta do it, right?!
2.    Eating clean and not shoveling good tasting crap in my mouth even when I’m full portion control.  Not a diet, but somewhat of a lifestyle change.  I always thought I was pretty good at reading labels.  I still think I am.  I try not to buy a lot of overly processed foods.  In fact, I make a lot of my own breads, salad dressings, and eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies.  I’m big on replicating recipes and knowing exactly what’s going in them.
     However, that second part…the one about shoveling in food is a HUGE issue for me.  I think in my profession though, it’s harder to “savor the flavor” of things because almost every lunch is a working lunch in some way shape or form.  Half the time, I think I’m still cramming crap into my pie hole and my stomach hasn’t had time to say, “Hey, dumbass, we’re all filled up down here!”
     Yes, I know I can’t just blame my profession for my lack of courtesy to my stomach.  This also filters into home.  Mornings, I’m usually scarfing something down on my way out the door or when I get to work.  Evenings, we eat late and usually I eat too much for it being only a couple hours before bed time.  Top that with the lack of exercise lately and voila!  
 
3.    Eat more fish.  Unless it’s sushi, I don’t care for it.  However, I know I need to eat more of it.  So…I will make it a goal to eat more and who knows, maybe I’ll actually prepare some here at home!
4.    Reduce Stress aka…Get My “ohm” on!  Not sure if this will involve some yoga or if simply running and workin’ on my fitness.  But, I know this is something I really need to work on for myself!
5.    Appreciate. Every. Day.  I have a journal.  Unfortunately, I’m not so good about writing in it every day.  However, I was reading an article about Oprah (yeah, I know...I surprised myself too!) and how she writes down 5 things that she is grateful for every day—even if it’s something as simple as fresh flowers.  This is something I feel I could implement into my life.  I need to.  It’s so easy to focus on the negative.  I try in my everyday life to find the positive, but I know on those difficult days, that’s when I need to seek the positive even more.
6.    Keep payin’ down the debt!  I’m doing pretty well with this and I believe, as long as jobs are good and we’re able to keep doing what we’re doing, all debt will be squelched by the end of this year!  (So exciting!  Well, minus my car.  That will be mid-year 2014.) 

7.    Figure out this whole wedding thing.  Ok, ok.  So, we have lived together for the past couple years.  We’re already married in our minds, but obviously, not to the law or in God’s eyes.  So…we will get this reconciled.  I’m just grateful I get to spend every day with my best friend!
8.  Spend more time with those that matter most and random acts of kindness.  Life is too short.   And I'm not just talking family...I'm talking friends.  So many times we say, "Oh, let's get together!"...only, it never happens...or doesn't happen in a timely fashion.  I want to spend  time with my family and friends, even if it's only a few minutes.  I want them to know that I do care.  If I can't meet up with them, I want to at least show them that I'm thinking about them.  All too often, life catches up with us and we make excuses.  No. More. Excuses.  (Just like working out.)  
Now, I know I'm sure I'll add to this list as the year progresses.  These are the things that stick out in my mind as I think about this next year.  I'm expecting you all to help keep me accountable! 

What goals do you have for 2013?  
and...just because it's funny and so true to my life.....




Thanks to those who created the graphics I borrowed!








No comments:

Post a Comment